Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fencing and race cars

Saturday I retrieved the posts, wire, and gates from Tony's place. First I had to roll up the rest of the wire and unhook the two gates from the posts. Then late afternoon I went back to get the items and also dig around the remaining posts Tony couldn't pull out.

Two of the posts were in a swampy area that Tony couldn't drive his tractor in. I dug those posts out by hand. The posts were the extra thick posts and I'm getting old, or getting tired, or both as I had trouble lifting the posts out of the ground. I really had to dig most of the way around the posts and then push and pull them to get them out of the ground.

The other five posts were in dry but rocky ground which made digging around them harder. I tried to dig half way down each posts so Tony can later pull them out with his tractor. The posts are in the ground a good three feet. By the time I finished digging around the final post it was 8 pm - well after dark. At the end I was digging more by feel than by sight.

This morning I unloaded all the items. My pickup was definitely full. The two gates are the same size (ten and twelve ft) as two of my corral gates. As these gates are a stronger metal tubing than the flat metal gates I have, I will replace the gates ...someday.

I also sprayed more weeds and cut more logs with my chainsaw. Is my chain getting dull already, or these logs just tougher? I split half the logs I cut this evening.

I have one more nice day to get stuff done as the forecast is for colder temps and rain the rest of the week starting Tuesday. I need more nice days to get my work done!

My northwest neighbor, Jim, was in his pasture with a road grader this morning. He created a small oval race track. He, his son, and brother-in-law race miniature race cars. The race track is at Missoula, MT and they go down there about every other weekend. No track exists up here for them to practice on - until today. This evening they were out there practicing.

Their race cars look neat and look like fun to drive. These little cars can do 70 mph or more and really go. They have "wings" on top to help hold them down so they don't "take off". Kind of like reverse wings where the air flow holds the car down on the ground.

The cars also are very noisy. Think a cross between a dirt bike and an ATV. The track is just south of Jim's northern neighbor, John's, house. I imagine John is not happy about this. Me, the track is far enough back that it doesn't really bother me.

No comments: