Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Used tire religion

I went uptown to buy a used replacement tire for my stock trailer. Easier said than done. I found this tire is not common anymore. It was common on older (like mine) stock trailers, but the newer trailers have gone to a different type of tire. Not as many old stock trailers around anymore. My tire is a 7.00 x 15 six-ply.

I visited four tire stores before the forth (and smallest) store had one for sale. This store is down the road and is a small shack where the owner only sells used tires.

While the owner changed my tire I waited in the small waiting room. An older man was sitting in a chair reading a magazine. The small TV was on and tuned to the 700 Club religious channel. He asked if I minded that the channel was on the 700 Club and I said I didn't care.

He then asked if I was a Christian.

"Uh, ya."

"Do you mind if I say a little prayer for you. You don't have to pray, just listen. It will only take 20 to 30 seconds."

"If you want, go ahead."

So he said a little prayer for me in 30 seconds.

"You feel the Holy Spirit in your heart while I said the prayer?"

"Uh, ya."

He then went on to explain the prayer and what the words meant and why he said what he said. More information than I was interested but I politely listened. His prayer was like a verbal chain letter and he encouraged me to share it with my friends and loved ones, even if they are far away. I didn't need to be in the same room as them.

Once he was done I asked where he originally was from as he mentioned his broken English. He was from Macedonia, near the borders of Bulgaria and Greece. He originally planned to move to either Germany or Switzerland. But he ended up here in 1995 and likes it here.

"Why Germany or Switzerland?"

"Because that was in my heart."

"Then, why here?"

"That's what God planned for me."

Before I could ask more about Macedonia, the owner (his son?) came and said my tire was done. You know, when he was saying the prayer and explaining it he would glance down the short hallway to the shop area where the owner was changing my tire. He might have been leery at getting caught getting religious with a customer.

I paid the owner and was on my way. The used tire cost me $36.50. New tires cost $80. I saved $1.50 by keeping my tire and not having them dispose of it. I will place the tire around one of my tomato plants to protect it from the cool Montana nights. Maybe this way I will get more ripe tomatoes this year!

No comments: