Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fresh snow

I went to bed around 1:30 am last night. The sky was partly cloudy with the moon trying to make an appearance. This morning I woke up to an inch of snow blanketing everything. The pines looked nice all white. Of course, I still have not fixed the hole in my garage roof.

By noon most of the snow was gone. *whew*

Yesterday Glacier National Park began their annual plowing of snow from the Going-to-the-Sun road. Complicating things is the road damage and debris on the road from last November's heavy rains. Snow fell and the temperatures froze shortly thereafter freezing the debris in place. Who know when the road will be open to Logan Pass?

I finally got to planting my garden seeds to start some of my plants indoors. I should have started my plants weeks ago, but as usual time gets away from me. I bought a big bag of potting soil this year as the potting soil worked well last year to start the plants. I planted: tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeƱos, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupe, cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, and sunflowers.

I spoke with Dan today. He plans to pasture cattle with me again. I want to buy cattle again this year, and we plan to go to Missoula to the livestock auction next week. Dan has some cattle to sell and hopefully I can find some to buy. The problem is that cattle prices are rising quickly and steadily the past month after going low over winter. The cattle prices aren't to the level of last year - yet - but may get there soon. That makes it harder to buy low and sell high.

Dan keeps saying he is getting out of the cattle business and each winter he gets more cattle. This winter he has 42 head, including 2 bulls. The bulls are going to the auction next week. Dan buys and sells yearlings and doesn't go through calving, but the bulls were a good deal.

No comments: