Monday, April 23, 2007

Harrow across the field

Over the weekend and today I pulled a harrow over my hayfield and some of my other fields.

First I had to fix my harrows. I hammered some teeth down and straightened other teeth. To the beat up harrow I used other years I chained the two small harrows I bought last year. I placed 4 logs on the beat up harrow to give it some weight, then chained them all to my pickup.

Around and around the hayfield I drove. By the time I was done I drove almost 40 miles at 6 to 7 mph. Last year the cattle ate the hayfield grass so it was taller than when I had hayed the field. Therefore I caught more dead grass in the harrow's spikes.

My main goal was to level the pocket gopher hills. Even though I had trapped many pocket gophers last year there were more left.

One pass around the field seemed to accomplish my goal. I didn't want to do more as the grass is growing now, and as the harrow can be hard on the grass I didn't want to really set back the grass's growth. The spots where the gopher mounds were bad I went over twice.

I finished the hayfield Sunday night. Today I fixed the harrows again as I needed to reattach one of the small harrows and strengthen the connection of the other small harrow. Then I went over the NE pasture to knock down the taller weeds and also almost half of the north pasture to do the same.

Unlike last year, I didn't pull the harrows over all the pastures. It is somewhat late in the season to do that.

The hayfield looks nicer - kind of groomed (though nothing like a golf course!)

Driving in circles on warm sunny days while listening to my favorite radio station. The only thing that could make life better is to have had a woman sitting next to me with a short skirt, warm smile and beautiful eyes. One hand on the steering wheel and my other hand on her leg. Though as bumpy as the field was it would have been hard to keep my hand in one place, which could have gotten me into trouble.

No comments: