Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Fixing a hole

This morning when speaking with my insurance agent she told me that yesterday when the Valley woke up to snow her five year son said "I'm tired of snow. I want to go on Spring Break so I can lie on the beach."

He is five years old! Back when I was younger - in my teens in high school - Spring Break meant days off from school to goof off and enjoy the weather. No one traveled on vacation. Now-a-days... I guess Spring Break means traveling to a beach. My, how have times changed!


This afternoon I finally got to fixing the hole in the garage roof. Our long promised weather warm up still has not arrived, but I decided to see what I could do with repairs.

The falling branch had made an oval hole and I squared it. The hole was large enough I could stand up in the hole when squaring it.

I found a heavy board and cut it to size. I discovered there is no tar paper under the garage roof's shingles. After I sealed the hole I placed some tar paper over the new board. This will protect the roof for now. I will wait until warmer weather before adding and replacing asphalt shingles. With temperatures in the mid 40s F the current old shingles readily break.

As I climbed down the ladder from my work it began to rain. Talk about timing! It is a good thing I got the repair done when I did as it is still raining several hours later.

No comments: