Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cattle's first days

The cattle are settling in nicely. They like taking their siesta in the SW corner of the corral. Here they sit together - though usually one will stand on watch. They sit and chew their cud while looking at the view either west or south. The chain link fence allows them to do so.

They have nipped the corral's short grass down. There is still some grass to eat but they are shifting to eating the hay now.

They seem pretty calm, though a time or two a few of them will moo.

They are getting more accustomed to me and only trot off to the far corner when I walk in their direction in the corral. When putting out hay this evening most of the herd came to the feeder and started to eat hay at the other end while I fluffed out another bale. They still watch me when I am out in the yard. They haven't totally figured me out yet.

This evening when I was spreading a hay bale in the feeder a heifer decided to go into the barn and eat the hay in there. I guess she thought it was a self service cafeteria. At least she didn't crap in there before I got her out.

My friend Tina suggested I call the heifer with the black "W" across her face, "Wonder Woman". A great suggestion, and now that is her name.

This morning the temperature didn't get below freezing overnight. Saturday morning the ground was covered in frost as late as 9 am as the overnight low was 25 F. A thin layer of ice was on the cattle's water troughs, but not enough to prevent them from drinking.

No comments: