Wednesday, April 25, 2007

More branch cutting

I want to get started on other of my big Spring projects but the weather has gotten cooler and mixed (sun, clouds, wind, rain, repeat). I baked another pumpkin pie, then decided to pick up the large pine cones in the NE corner of the pasture. I didn't burn this part of the pasture this year and it doesn't look like I will. The grass is greening up nicely and the burn would be half or more smoke.

I filled the wheelbarrow three times with pine cones.

The very corner tree had a broken branch last year. Lower branches supported the broken branch and all were higher than I could easily reach. So I had left the branch and let its needles fall.

Once I finished picking up the pine cones I decided to get my pole saw and see if I could reach to cut the branch down. (You would think I had enough tree trimming for this year! ) Standing under the branch I was just able to reach it. When the branch fell I ran and ducked and part of the branch fell on my fence along the road. The fence held! The top strands of barb wire were stretched, but the fence held! The branch turned out to be bigger than I had thought it was - but I was able to drag it out of the ditch and over the fence back into the pasture.

So now I have another pile of kindling for starting fires in my wood stove. I had about used up my previous kindling pile as I timed its use to the end of the burning season. Oh well, better more than less?

No comments: