Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day after snow storm

This was a fast moving storm. I awoke this morning to sunshine. Not a cloud was in the sky. The sky was blue and the ground was white. The amount of snow that fell depended on where in the valley you are. Some areas got 6 inches of snow. I estimate I got around 2 inches here at the ranch.

The wind that brought the snow storm ensured we had snow everywhere. Roofs over open structures did not keep the snow out, unlike the usual here. As this was the first snow of the season, and the ground was still warm, some the snow turned crusty and/or icy. There was enough snow that I used a broom to sweep paths to the various buildings.

We got down to 13 F last night, colder than predicted. We never reached our predicted high of freezing, instead we only reached 26 F. With the sun some slight melting occurred in sunny areas south of the buildings.

I had forgotten my pumpkins were in the garage ripening. My first order of business this morning was to bring them inside the house before they froze completely solid.

After I made paths through the snow this morning I spent the rest of the day indoors. I put the cabinet and sink back in place now that the water heater is installed. Other than re-doing one connection because of a small leak, the work went smoothly.

Otherwise, my day was spent tossing an occasional log in the wood stove and going about straightening up (somewhat) the mess that has accumulated the past weeks as I concentrated on outside work. I made a dent but have more to do.

Here are a few photos of the first snow of the season.

Another photo of the backyard bush as compared to over a week ago. Notice the number of leaves is less than in yesterday's (previous post) photo. That is what happens when the wind gusts to 46 mph.



Yesterday afternoon and this morning.



Through the gap in the mountains in the first photo is the way to Glacier National Park.



The snow shows the ski runs on Big Mountain.

A white Christmas seems a distinct possibility.

No comments: