Thursday, October 19, 2006

Errands, cabinet, birds, garden, desserts

After checking my pocket gopher traps today I went to OfficeMax with the competitors' ads and OfficeMax matched Walmart. Therefore I got $50 off my camera's price. With that money I bought a 2 GB flash drive. I know the importance of backing up data from one's computer, but hadn't done so yet. The flash drive makes it easy as copying the data from one drive to another. And the flash drive is so small! The manufacturer (SanDisk) even includes an optional strap so you can hang the drive around your neck so as not to lose it.

It is amazing how much data is stored on such a small device. I remember worrying about every byte of a computer program's size when starting to program as 16 K was a large size. ...the old days!

After OfficeMax I stopped at the CHS store to buy some suet for the birds. It is Fall and I like to help the birds out (though I shouldn't! More on that later). I noticed CHS didn't have many herbicides on the shelf and asked about it. They put them in the back till next Spring as there isn't much call for them now. Makes sense.

I had bicycled to OfficeMax and the CHS stores and it started to sprinkle as I started home. The rain was very light and I was happy to be out and about on a bicycle so I took the long way home even if it meant getting a little damp. Before I rode uptown I had to replace a broken spoke on my bicycle wheel. Naturally the broken spoke was on the cassette side of the rear wheel necessitating extra work to replace it.

I stopped to see how Bob and Jan were doing. Bob had out-patient surgery today to put in a patch inside his ear near the ear drum to correct his ear/hearing problem from when the tree branch hit him this summer as he mowed his lawn. A side effect of the surgery is that his balance is screwed up today. Jan had dental work done yesterday.

Oh, what about my water heater? I worked on removing the cabinet today. I got everything done except unhooking the two water pipes. I cut holes in the back of the cabinet to allow me to remove the cabinet from the wall without having to cut the water pipes from where they enter the cabinet. I found scorched marks inside the cabinet from a flame when someone used a torch to solder the joints and connections of the pipes inside the cabinet. A little below the sink are pipe connectors that I think I can unscrew. I'll see tomorrow.

Regarding my birds comment earlier... a few days ago I brought part of my garden produce in and cleared the dead plants. I brought in my pumpkins and sunflowers, and dug a few hills of potatoes. I discovered some animal (birds!) had gotten to a half dozen of my sunflower plants and ate all the seeds from their heads. *argh!* Opened shells lay at the foot of the plants. Oh well... I still have over a dozen heads left. I did notice the birds ate the seeds from the oldest and most mature plants. I hope the remaining seeds are far enough along to be edible once they are dried. I flicked the seeds out of a couple heads this morning and they seem a little chewy.

While I tossed most of the dead plants out in the hayfield, I did attempt to burn the corn stalks. The leaves burned but the stalks only partially burned. At least that will keep the leaves from blowing around when it gets windy.

I have the carrots, beets, onions, and potatoes left to bring in. But no hurry as the ground isn't near freezing for some time yet. (Famous last words as you may remember how the snow came before I got all my carrots dug last year!)

I have also been baking on Monday as I made an apple pie (lots of apples to use up!) and zucchini muffins (lots of zucchini too!). Not that I need desserts as I gained three pounds during my Washington vacation. With all the food my relatives baked and all the times we ate out I thought I had gained more weight than three pounds. Especially after the supper Curt, Cathy and I had. Curt and I each had the Triple Berry dessert and each dessert could have fed four people. Even I couldn't finish all of the dessert, and people who know me probably have never witnessed me not eating everything. I can't remember when I last could not finish a meal.

No comments: