Friday, October 13, 2006

Birds, gophers, cantaloupe

Another beautiful Fall day on Thursday. I better enjoy them now as the weatherman has cold temperatures forecast for next week.

This afternoon I seen my Hungarian partridges. They scooted under the fence to the corral before I could count them to see if they all are still around.

I walked the property boundary and found the wings of a bird next to the river. It looked to have been a goose or large duck. I don't know what killed and ate it as only the outstretched wings were left.

The river level is the lowest since late winter. I don't know the exact CFS flow as the USGS has turned off the automated river monitor for the season. I forgot to bring the camera along so I missed out on some nice photos of the sunlight on the water and Fall colors.

I'm back to catching pocket gophers. I trapped four of them today. I would have caught a fifth one but that trap is one where earlier a part of the trigger broke, then a heifer stepped on the trap. I reworked my fix to the trigger and hope that fixed the trap.

I added insulation to my well shed's door. I had insulated everything else in the shed last month but waited to do the door until it was colder. With overnight lows of 22 F - now is the time.

I ate one of my smallest garden cantaloupes today. It was good. I expect the larger ones to taste even better.

Tomorrow (Friday) is our group hike. A member heard the trail to the Granite Park Chalet has ice on the trail in a few spots so we plan to hike to Fish Lake instead. It is getting harder to do higher elevation hikes this late in the season.

Happy Friday the 13th, and Happy Birthday to Tina and Pete!

No comments: