Sunday, October 29, 2006

First snow

Winter has arrived... with a vengeance. Rain was predicted with maybe a chance of snow. Boy, were the weather forecasters wrong! Even as snow fell and blanketed everything in the Flathead Valley, the 5:30 pm weather forecaster (from Missoula) was still saying only a little snow may fall. By the 10 pm the forecaster had gotten the word, and it was "winter storm".

The day started out great. The sky was clear and sunny and I wondered if the weather forecast was correct. Still I got busy before the predicted weather change. I picked up the wood I had cut and split the past few days and stacked it under cover. I even cut up a few more old posts.

I dug up four more hills of potatoes. I checked my pocket gopher traps. I only got one pocket gopher. I think this colder weather is slowing them down.

Yesterday I spent most of the day building a fence across the "thumb" of property I own on the river. Hopefully this will stop my cattle from following deer trails through the brush and trees when they get the crazy notion to cross the river.

My goal was to put all the posts in the ground before the weather changed and the ground froze. Success, as I got all the posts in the ground. I even strung one strand of barb ware before dark. Fall is the nice time and right time to do this. This mostly treed area by the river gets very hot and humid to work in much of the year. Even though the temperature only reached the low 60s F it was perfect fence building weather.

I had hoped to work more on the fence today but the weather started to change by the time I had dug my potatoes.

Here are "before and after" photos of my backyard shrub, it having turned more red the past few days.


Mid afternoon when the front came with the snow, it hit hard. The wind blew at 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. The snow came down sideways and soon covered the ground. My view faded. The mountains disappeared, then the neighbor's trees until I couldn't see across the road anymore. Tomorrow's predicted high temperature is around freezing so the snow may stick around a few days before melting.

Welcome to winter!





When the snow and cold hit I fired up my wood stove and sat inside my toasty house as I watched the snow blow by and listened to the wind howl outside with my cattle chimes clinging and clanging as the cattle danced in circles.

No comments: