Friday, October 20, 2006

More water heater searching

Good thing I am part Ukrainian, grew up in North Dakota, lived in Minnesota, and can swim in glacial lakes. Otherwise I couldn't survive taking cold shower after cold shower this week.

Have I got a new hot water heater? Noooo....

Why not? Because.

I spent this afternoon researching on the internet more on hot water heaters. I realized the Energy Guide on the water heaters have annual heating costs are based on a family size and not a single person. How else can the estimated water heater annual cost be more than my total electric bill. Or, at least I hope that is the case.

Also, I found the electric rate used was higher than what I pay per kilowatt hour. The gas rate used is lower than what I paid last winter. So the cost differential between the two types of heaters are not as great as shown on the labels.

After my research I unhooked the cabinet's water pipes and removed the cabinet from the entryway. Dust, dirt and cobwebs were behind the cabinet. I found a previous color for the walls (light green) and a receipt dated back to September 10, 1969 for 3 quarts of oil at .65 each. The receipt had a name of the house's owner at the time.

I also could see more around the back of my water heater and found two ice cube trays and a winter hat. The hat I burnt in my wood stove. The trays are interesting as they are copper colored. We see how they look once I clean decades of dust off them. What the ice cube trays were doing behind the water heater, who knows!

With the way open to replace my water heater I went uptown to buy a new one.

I had two more stores to check on water heaters. The first, Ace Hardware, had more employees than customers and I couldn't get past the front cash register without several people all over me trying to help. The "winner" showed me the water heaters. Ace sold Reliance, the same as the True Value store, so I already had seen this brand of water heaters.

I am more knowledgeable about water heaters and a few questions from me had the salesman checking their computer for the answer, especially the stats I doubted him on. (I was right).

At a store near Ace I ran into two people I know. First I saw Stacie. We talked about how her new house building is going. Far, far, better than when I talked with her last month. It is going so smooth - that if it was me - I'd be worried about what could go wrong.

Almost right after talking with Stacie I saw Don. We chatted about real estate and different irrigation districts in Montana as he has property near Malta.

Actually I am surprised I recognized these people - though I had to do a double take both times today. I guess after these years here I am building a network of acquaintances. Usually I don't notice people as it is only 1 out 100 times that I meet someone I know.

My second stop was at Sears. This stop was more of a 'check all places' stop as I planned on buying a heater from Home Depot. To my surprise they had a water heater that fit my requirements and was priced right as it is on sale this week.

Again this small locally owned store had more employees than customers (3 vs 2) and I had help immediately. Again I knew more than the salesmen as he thought the electric rebate was over, and then didn't know the energy factor of the heater had to be .93 or greater for the heater to qualify for the rebate.

The owner/manager (I believe) had to get involved to determine the energy factor for the water heater I wanted as it wasn't anywhere on the heater itself.

I also learned something. This heater has a wattage of 3800 or 5500. I learned than the wattage used depends on the wiring at my house. 3800 watts has a minimum wire size of 12 gauge and a maximum fuse of 20 amps. 5500 watts has a minimum wire size of 10 gauge and a maximum fuse of 30 amps. The lower the wire gage the larger the diameter of the wire and the more current it can carry. Apparently 5500 watts on a 12 gauge wire can burn out the heater prematurely.

What is my wiring? *shrug* My current water heater is rated at 4500 watts. It was late when I got home so I didn't want to start flipping circuit breakers to find out which breaker was for the water heater. I did notice that I have three 30 amp breakers with two of them unlabeled. The third is for the stove. I believe one set of 30 amp breakers are for the dryer, and the other may be for the water heater. What else would require so much power? The refrigerator? I wish all my circuit breakers were labeled.

The Sears store, as it is a small store, doesn't carry much in stock and has to order most large appliance items. However I was in luck as they had one 55 gallon water heater in stock.

I wanted to recheck the Home Depot water heaters, and check my wiring at home, before buying the Sear's heater. At Home Depot I found the heater I was interested in, the tall 50 gallon model, was out of stock and they would not have more until the 24th (next Tuesday and today is Thursday the 19th).

Also this heater is rated at 5500 watts. The water heater salesman and I looked for the Home Depot electrical salesman for more answers to my wiring questions, but he was away on his supper break. That's a problem with my off-kilter hours. Yesterday people were taking their lunch breaks when I needed answers, and today they are on their supper breaks.

Home Depot had a 4500 watt model that also met the rebate requirements, but that model only has a 6 year warranty and not the 12 year warranty of the models I want. Everyone is surprised when I tell them my heater's age. They all say water heaters don't last near as long now-a-days.

I believe I determined my water heater's age. I found a web site that decodes the manufacture date based on the serial number. If true, my water heater was built the 7th week of 1964.

So. I am ready both physically and mentally for a new water heater. Mentally I had to overcome my reluctance to throw out what appears to be a perfectly good tank when all I may need is a new thermostat or heating element. Everyone - and I mean everyone - had told me to get a new water heater. I just have to determine my wiring, then buy a new heater. I think I will get the Sears brand. It is slightly larger, has a higher energy factor of .95 (versus Home Depot's .94), and is $20 cheaper as it is on sale this week.

One last thing I learned today from the older Sears salesman was that newspaper was put between the layers of a floor to prevent it from creaking when stepped on. That is why my bathroom floor had the newspaper between the layers. Other than one spot in my entryway, none of my floor creaks and the house is old.

Here is the area with and without the cabinet:

No comments: