Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Running around -town

What a busy day! I'm tired.

I started my day with a cool shower. Ok... it was cold. The shower seems to be getting colder each day.

Stopped at the electric company to set my auto-pay for my new credit card. I asked about electric water heaters and learned the electric co-op has a $60 rebate for energy efficient water heaters.

Stopped at the True Value hardware store to see what they sold for water heaters. The salesman told me since my water heater is old I should not try to replace the thermostat or heating element and I should buy a new water heater. He said gas heaters are cheaper to operate than electric heaters and that it would be worth the extra effort to convert from an electric to a gas heater.

Stopped at a grocery store.

West of town is the MT Dept of Revenue. They had sent me an application form asking me to re-apply for an agricultural designation for my property. Since the last time dad filled out the application the form has changed. So questions from me about the new fields to fill out. I need to fill out an extra form listing machinery and livestock. I also need to list my AUM (Animal Unit Month) carrying capacity for my property.

"What is that?!"

The Revenue appraiser said I need to go to local NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) office to have them determine my AUM value and then have them list it in a letter for me to attach to my Dept of Revenue application.

Now one would think an active ag designation for one's property would have the lowest property tax. I guess not as the appraiser said a productive ag property could result in a higher tax value than an inactive ag designation. The wild card is the house as an ag usually lowers the buildings valuations on the property. So, I don't know how my tax will change. *sigh*

Then over to the local phone company to have their auto-pay be updated to my new credit card.

I stopped by the local gas company but they were closed for lunch.

Then it was over to an eye clinic. I found out that my insurance company will not treat the eye clinic and doctor in North Dakota as "in-network" anymore. They had relented earlier because their web site was confusing. They said they fixed their web site now. While I think it would be cheaper for them for me to visit my previous eye doctor and clinic, they won't consider them as "in-network". The good news about this is that a local eye clinic had joined the insurance network as of a month ago so don't have to travel over 100 miles to Missoula to be "in-network".

I wanted to verify with the clinic that my insurance company was correct, and that the Kalispell eye clinic was indeed part of their network. Based on the insurance company's past history, could you blame me? While it was near 1 pm, the clinic's worker who handles the insurance claims - like the gas company - took a late lunch and was not there.

Off to Home Depot and Lowes to look at their water heaters. The Home Depot sales lady told me to stick with an electric water heater and also clued me in that the heater's energy factor had to be .93 or greater to qualify for the rebate. That means I am limited to the higher end models.

The Lowes salesman didn't seem as knowledgeable, or certain. He didn't have a strong preference though initially he favored a gas heater. Lowes had a discounted last year model of an "on demand" gas heater that didn't cost too much more than the heaters I am looking at. But after some confusion I found there is no energy rebate from the gas company. Lowes didn't carry an electric version of an "on demand" heater. An electric version probably doesn't work as well as the gas version as electric heaters take longer to heat things.

Home Depot would install a new water heater and haul off the old one for $268 and up - depending on how long it took them to do the work. Lowes charged over $300 for the same service. I can't believe their prices - as much, if not more, than the water heater itself. Guess I'll be installing my new water heater myself.

Back to the eye clinic and I was told they were part of my insurance network. So I made an appointment. I realized this was the same clinic as what my dad used for his cataract surgery. I had no preference among the four eye doctors so I asked for the one dad had used. It was so long ago the receptionist didn't have dad in their computer and had to go look at his paper file to determine which doctor dad saw. While there I also filled out the new patient forms.

The gas company was now open. I am not sure the woman who answered my questions really knew the correct answers, but she thought I would have to pay a $40 fee to have the gas company turn the gas back on and inspect the new pipe to the water heater. I would have to install the pipe extension to the water heater myself or pay someone to do it. A gas water heater is looking less and less likely.

Then over to the NRCS office way south of town where the appraiser said they are located. They had moved. At least their new location is on my side of town.

Stopped at my bank as I almost forgot to do so and had to backtrack.

Then I stopped at OfficeMax to return my new Canon digital camera. Over the weekend the lens would not open all the way when I turned the camera on. If you notice a black shadow in the corners of a few photos, that happened when I didn't see the lens wasn't all the way open.

I am in the 30 day window for a price match but outside the 14 day window for a "no questions" return. But as I was on vacation, and the lens problem should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, she replaced my camera. I mentioned that the day after I had bought the camera Walmart dropped the price by $50. She told me I had 30 days for an ad match. I had to bring the ad in to get the lower price. That is tomorrow's errand as it took me a while tonight to find the Walmart sale paper.

A stop at Walmart to get a mop. With all the water heater choices making my head swim, why does there have to be a half dozen mop choices?! I don't know which one to get! Even with the helpful Walmart sales lady explaining the mop choices to me, I still had to make a decision. I need a girlfiend to take over for things like this when my brain is fried.

Another grocery store stop.

At the NRCS office I found Angel is out of the office until Friday. I left my name and number and request and we'll see. I found that Angel's name is pronounced "On-hill". Try remembering that when you see "Angel".

Another stop at the True Value store on the way home to recheck their water heaters and prices as by now my head was swimming and confused about heaters. A different salesman and a different sales pitch. Not sure it helped.

At home, on my answering machine, the Revenue appraiser had left a message that he had done some internet checking and felt I probably would meet the ag conditions (I would hope so as this ranch has existed since 1940!). But he still wanted a letter from the NRCS.

Fired up the wood stove to heat the house and made supper. A long day. Today I drove the four ends of Kalispell from before 11 am till after 5 pm without stopping to eat lunch. Tired, confused, and hungry - three words that describe this day.

Tomorrow morning another cold shower - just what I need to clear my head.

No comments: