Thursday, October 19, 2006

Map with photos

I found this web site where people can attach their photos to a map. So if you want to see what an area looks like from the ground, click on the indicator on the map. You can view the world or zoom into locations.

Apparently people adding the photos can enter the GPS co-ordinates for their photo to attach it to a specific location. If no GPS co-ordinates, then some sort of location I guess (I haven't joined this site and haven't gone through the process).

I checked out the Glacier Nat'l Park photos and found a number of the photos to be close, but not exact. (Then again I didn't zoom all the way in to see if the map further separates the photo locations). Then again, many people just use the camera's default name for the photo and do not give the photo a meaningful name, so I guess I can't expect complete accuracy from all the photos. In the future I imagine all cameras and cell phones will come with GPS to mark the photos' locations.

http://flickr.com/map

No comments: