Friday, August 25, 2006

Two Holsteins, a bird and a break

*argh!* Those Holsteins are driving me crazy!

Late Tuesday evening I decided to get them into the corral area around the barn. All the cattle were in the hayfield along the fence close to the gate between the two areas. They wanted apples. I took a bag of apples and tossed them on the ground. The herd went into a frenzy.

The two Holsteins stood back near the gate and watched. Perfect. I ran over and opened the gate and offered them one of the few apples I had left. They stood there and looked at me.

"Come on! I have an apple for you!"

Nothing. "Duh..."

I walked out into the hayfield closer to them and they took a step back.

"Here's an apple for you."

By now the herd had gobbled up all the apples on the ground and came for me. I retreated back behind the gate and closed it. *argh!*

I ran over to get another bag of apples. I again spread them on the ground and again the herd went after them. This time the Holsteins were closer to the action and further from the gate. Again I went into the hayfield; again the herd gobbled up the apples; and again came for me. *argh!*

I decided to wait till the herd got bored and started to drift off leaving me with less cattle to deal with. Didn't happen. They stood at the fence begging. Others milled around. Others started pushing other cattle as if to say, "Don't crowd me!"

The Holsteins stood side by side 10 feet away from the herd and watched. They didn't seem to be a part of the herd.

I went through the gate and tried to lead the herd away from the gate. Not a good idea. The cattle were all around as quite a number associate me with feeding them treats and they all were trying to get next to me. I had to push some away but others milled up against me. I retreated back behind the gate.

The Holsteins were closer and along the fence now. I decided to let the cattle through the gate until the Holsteins were in the corral area then shut the gate, then lead the other cattle out through the gate using apples.

After opening the gate the initial cattle didn't know what to do and were hesitant to cross the gate. The gate is only wide enough to allow a single animal through at a time. One, then another, then another. Almost half the herd came through and still the Holsteins stood along the fence with a dumb look.

You idiots! Come through the gate!

I had to go out into the hayfield and herd them towards the gate.

All but six cattle were in the south corral when I shut the gate after the Holsteins. The six were not happy about being outside and stood along the fence and began to moo. The cattle inside the corral were excited at being in a new place and with fresh grass. They were no longer interested in apples and spread out throughout the corral. The Holsteins now split up and were at opposite ends of the corral. *argh!*

I waited and waited and finally the Holsteins came together near the gate to the north corral. I opened that gate and they went through. Success! I had separated them from the rest of the herd. The herd wasn't interested in leaving the corral. I left them and went to have supper.

It was dark when I came back out. Too dark to herd them. I opened the gate and hoped they would be gone by morning.

Wednesday I was up early - way early! - as I was going hiking in Glacier Park. Half the herd were in the hayfield by the house and half were in the corral. I put water into the water trough and then Joyce and Edley came to get me for the hike. I left the gate open so the herd could leave, and left a message with Dan to come get the Holsteins.

When I returned that evening I found the Holsteins were with the herd in the hayfield. What?! I thought the Holsteins weren't invested in the herd? Dan left a phone message that when he came after 11 am no cattle could be found. The Holsteins had crossed the south/north corral fence as it was lower.

All that work! Besides, Tuesday evening I had hurt my left wrist when I had attempted to lead the cattle away from the gate. Early in the day I had noticed I had strained my wrist lifting some stuff. I must have "pushed the strain over the edge" when using my hands to push the milling cattle away from me Tuesday night. My wrist was very sore and had swelled up.

Wednesday night half the herd was again near the fence and gate begging for apples. Okay... I opened the gate. Six of the herd walked into the corral. The two Holsteins stood there and finally(!) one walked through the gate. The other Holstein was not happy, stood there and began to bellow at the other one. On and on until he gave up and walked through the gate. I closed it to keep the rest of the cattle out of the corral.

The Holsteins separated from the other six fairly quickly. I opened the corral gate but they didn't want to go through it. I had to herd them by running and cutting them off as they attempted to go elsewhere. I was able to get them into the north corral.

Using apples I was able to entice the six to leave the south corral for the hayfield. As the corral was no longer "new" to them they were interested in apples. Success! I closed the gate. Now if the Holsteins cross the south/north corral fence they will be stopped by the chain link corral/hayfield fence.

I called Dan and he planned to come Thursday to get the Holsteins.

7 am Thursday morning I awoke to scratching and tapping sounds.

Huh?!

I got out of bed and discovered they were coming from the wood burning stove. It sounded like something was tapping on the stove's glass window. I got a flashlight and discovered a large bird inside the stove.

What the..?! How did he get in the stove?

The bird had to have come down the chimney then crossed over the long stove pipe to the stove, then pass the partially baffled area were the pipe connected to the stove. But he did ...somehow?

It was a Flicker.


I put a blanket over the stove to block the light to hopefully stop his tapping on the glass. I was tired and wanted to sleep.

I checked outside and found the Holsteins in the hayfield with the herd. What?!!! I haven't even woken up and apparently I got out of bed on the wrong side of the bed. I went back to bed until Tony woke me up around 9 am. That's another story!

After I finished helping Tony, and later helping Grant - my beekeeper - Grant suggested I use a towel to grab the bird from the stove and then release it outside. I closed all the inside doors and opened the outside door. I closed all the curtains. That way the only light if the bird got away from me would be to the outside door.

Using a pillow case I was able to open the stove door and grab the bird with the pillow case. The bird just stood there and I easily grabbed it. Well, he had been in the stove for many hours now. I took care as it had a long beak and I didn't want to get stabbed with it.

Outside I let the flicker go and it flew off unharmed. That's good as Bob told me flickers are wonderful bug and ant eaters.

Another problem solved.

I checked the corral fence and found the south/north fence top wires were pushed down. So that is how the Holsteins moved from the north corral to the south one. The chain link corral/hayfield fence was fine. This fence is 4 ft tall. How did the Holsteins get into the hayfield?!!! I haven't a clue. Can they jump that high? Even the double jointed Holstein couldn't slip through a chain link fence!

Tonight when the herd came to demand - yes, they now demand apples - I fed them apples but didn't bother getting the Holsteins into the corral. I'll give it a rest for a few nights. I am more bound and determined the Holsteins have to go.

By the way, my swollen wrist and blister on my heel (from the long hike) was nothing compared to Grant's bad luck. Yesterday when gathering and cutting logs for firewood a log struck his leg and broke it. It was not a compound fracture but he will be in a cast for about six weeks. What a tough break (no pun intended). Lots of work to be done outdoors before winter and Grant again got a great, and hard to get, hunting license for this Fall. I forgot for which animal. A cast will slow him down. I offered whatever help he may need over the upcoming weeks.

You know... I was thinking... I am never bored out here on the ranch.

No comments: