Monday, August 28, 2006

Overdoing my wrist

While my sore wrist is healing I guess I should take it easy using my hand. But no, I feel better and am out overdoing it.

Yesterday I decided to run the lawn mower. I know.. I know... I seldom mow the lawn, instead letting the grass grow, and now I decide to mow it. I was tired of searching for fallen apples in the tall grass and decided to mow under the apple trees. Did I stop there? I decided to mow around the house, garden, garage, and clothesline. Since I had the middle part of the yard mowed I decided to mow the back part. Most of that grass was already dead and brown so mowing it wouldn't make it any browner. The only part of the yard I didn't mow was the front yard. The exception being the middle of the driveway as I don't care for the grass brushing against the bottom of my car.

The mowed lawn looks 'tidier' than before. I guess having the grass at a single height is the reason. I didn't mow the front lawn as we haven't had rain in a long time and the grass will turn brown after it has been mowed. I have enough to do to water my trees, shrubs, and garden that I don't need to add the lawn to the list.

My wrist was fine this morning after all that mowing so... I carried a thick sheet of plywood to the hay shed. Plus dug more holes to catch pocket gopher. Plus drug the long hose as I watered the newly planted shrubs along the north fence. Plus, whatever else. By the evening my wrist was sore. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Then I went for a 16 mile bicycle ride. For the entire ride I rode with one arm as I rested my sore wrist behind my back. I ride so much that I can even ride "with one arm behind my back".

This morning I discovered that some animal had taken a couple loaves of the French bread I am saving for the cattle. They took the loafs from the pile on my front entry way. They ripped the paper and ate all the loaves. Only crumbs were left on my front step. Also a 5 gallon pail of water was tipped over. That has never happened before. I wonder if it was the new neighbor's dogs? Last night he let them run free after dark. Sure surprised me as I rode my bicycle when they came at me from out of the ditch next to my hayfield. They harassed me until I passed the neighbor's house.

I chatted with my neighbor across the road. I was right when I thought he was trying to trap a beaver in the creek that runs through his property. The previous efforts failed as the trapper only caught the beaver's tail, then a leg. The trapper switched to using a conibear trap and they are determined to get the beaver once and for all this time.

The Holsteins look like white-and-black giraffes when I see them among my cattle in the hayfield. I found where the Holsteins had gotten over the corral fence earlier this week. One section of the chain link fence was slightly bent down and out. Four feet high and they still jumped it. I guess this means getting giraffes is out of the question until I add to the corral fence's height. For now I've given up on separating the Holsteins into the corral for Dan to haul them away.

No comments: