Monday, August 07, 2006

Multi-tasking day

A dull day when it comes to blogging about the day's events. Lots of multi-tasking.
  • I checked my gopher traps. One pocket gopher trapped. Several traps filled with dirt. The rest: no activity.
  • I sprayed some of the knapweed in the north pasture.
  • I picked seeds of goat's beard growing in the pastures. One would think that with the grass drying up and turning brown, the goat's beard would not have enough moisture or energy to grow. But grow it does.
  • I began to dig an area so I can plant the rest of my Emerald Arborvitae shrubs. Watering them in their containers is getting old. I decided to plant them along part of my fence line in the NE pasture. When they grow larger they will block the view of the traffic when it comes around the bend on the road.
  • The pump for my well has a plastic hose running from it. The end of the hose lay on the shed's floor. That's not so good. I had put the hose end to run back into the well until I looked closer and found the water was the runoff from lubricating the pump's shaft. Don't want that going into my well. I put the hose end into a bucket for now. I need to come up with some way to get that water to go outside the shed and not be a problem.
  • I also picked up the insulation from the well's shed that I had pulled out when replacing the water tank. By the time I reassemble everything back into the shed it may rain. Don't want the insulation to get wet.
  • I fed a pail of apples to three cattle that were close to the fence this evening. Two of the cattle were quite anxious to get all the apples they could. I was afraid they would burst through the fence as they competed to get the apples, but the fence held. I held the pail behind me as I fed them the apples by hand and one tried to reach around me to the pail. One would think I had my arm down their throats as they slobbered all over my arms clear up to my elbows. They love apples.
  • I found some of the leaves had been eaten off a shrub in the yard. Found the caterpillars and dispatched them.
  • I watered half my garden before it got dark. I picked one head of cabbage as it was large and ready. I picked a second head as something is eating it. A quarter to a third had been eaten away.
  • I rode 10 miles on my bicycle to get some exercise.
The air is smoky / hazy from Washington State forest fires. It is especially noticeable around sunset. I can see the smoke when I look at the trees on the ridge. One would think the fires are closer. A red sun when it sets.

No comments: