Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fixing, digging, stuff, rain, apples

I fixed the fence where the cattle tilted a few of the 2x4s. These were different 2x4s and not ones I had fixed a few days ago.

I fixed my wheelbarrow wheel. Or I should say, replaced it. The tire went flat today. Kinda hard to move stuff with a flat tire! The tire has an inner tube. The tire was old and cracked in a number of places. I found Home Depot sold the tire, tube, and rim as a unit for $19.98. There was no other choice as they didn't sell the items separately. My rim is good so I now have two rims.

Down the road was an unadvertised rummage sale. It had started Sunday and yesterday when I noticed it and stopped by many items were gone. The 79 year old woman is moving to Washington state to live with her son-in-law and daughter, who had grown up in the Flathead. A small world as the son-in-law knows my uncle even though both live in small towns just outside of Tacoma, Washington. But then, this guy and my uncle are/were in law enforcement.

Stuff had been picked over and some of what was left I didn't really need. The son-in-law told me he planned to haul off to the dump many items that didn't sell. The time was noon today. I stopped over after 1 pm and found many items loaded in the pickup already. I found a few odds & ends of stuff that could be useful. They also gave me the odds & ends of barb wire and also various sizes of wire field fence they had out back. I need to go back and get this later. I noticed apples laying under several apple trees and asked if I could have them for my cattle. Yup. I'll have to go back for the apples as they didn't have any extra bags for me to gather them into.

Rained this morning so I used the time to catch up on my beauty sleep. Then early evening we got a little more rain. This time the blue clouds looked to be holding more water than what we got. The weather forecasters promise widespread beneficial rains later tonight and tomorrow. Hope so.

This afternoon most of the cattle came from the river area to the hayfield at a very fast run. Some light thunder was rumbling as the rain clouds were building in the western mountains. Not enough thunder that I would think it would scare the cattle. Maybe some people floating the river harassed and scared the cattle?

I thought I had dug enough ground to plant my Emerald Arborvitae. It is recommended to plant them three to four feet apart. I initially dug an area to hold them three feet apart but when I came to measure and dig the holes today I found I was spacing them closer to four feet apart.

As I was digging more ground my neighbor came outside to walk their dogs. A doggy bathroom jaunt more like it. They have a small apple tree with apples on the ground. I asked and got permission to gather the apples for my cattle. Lots of apple sources - just need to get my butt in gear and gather the apples.

No comments: