Thursday, August 10, 2006

Moderate day

It was a nice day with high temperature in the 70s F. Hmmm... I didn't feel so tired today. Was that because of the moderate temperature, or the fact my supper last night was ice cream?

I found a pocket gopher is back in the front yard yet again. *sigh* It never ends. You'd think they would have settled down by now to a place to live for the year and stop all this moving around.

The wind from last evening's thunderstorm blew a number of apples off my trees. That's ok as the trees are overloaded as I hadn't had time to thin them earlier. More apples for "my girls".

Yesterday I looked over most of "my girls". Numbers 70 and 90, the two smallest, look good. They have finally lost their rough winter coat and look lots sleeker. They also are gaining weight and the one doesn't look like a "runt" any more. One was nice enough to lick the neck of the other one. I am trying to resist praising them because you know what happens whenever I praise or brag about them... trouble!

I sprayed a tank of herbicide this afternoon even though it was threatening rain. I figured that would make it certain that it would rain. A few hours later it did rain lightly. It didn't rain much but anything is better than nothing.

I chatted with Bob and Jan today about gardens, fruit trees, property rights crazies, and listened to some old railroad stories from Bob's past. Jan gave me a spider plant.

A young couple from Helena are now renting the small concrete block house south of the ranch. They also have two dogs and two young kids. Not sure how all will fit in that small house. Early evening I seen all my cattle lined up along the hayfield fence staring into their backyard. I couldn't see what was going on but it sure had the cattle's interest for a while.

I made a second batch of huckleberry jam tonight. The berries are still delicious for munching but I need to use them up before they get overripe.

I read the local newspaper article about last night's growth policy meeting. The article mentioned the property rights people and complaints but didn't balance the article to mention the people who spoke in favor of the growth policy. From the article you'd think everyone was against the growth policy.

No comments: