Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Dan and cattle

Dan came over late this morning to see how our cattle are doing. He hasn't been by in over a month.

Half the herd was taking their siesta near the irrigation shed. I fed them apples while we looked them over. One of Dan's steers, number 423, really likes apples. He kept wanting more while I wanted to save the rest of the apples for the rest of the herd. The steer would try to circle around me to get to the plastic bag with the apples. A number of times I was almost encircled by him as he twisted his head and neck around me to reach the apples. I also had to be careful as he would sometimes start to step on my foot. He is way too big to be stepping on my foot. Other times I had to move my foot as he would reach down and bite my shoe. "Stop that!"

We found the rest of the herd, minus the two Holsteins, down in the low area closer to the river.

All the cattle look good. One can't tell that Dan's Hereford-cross steer had lost all that weight back the end of June. A few of Dan's cattle still have a slightly rough winter coat. Dan says they may be missing a mineral in their diet. All of my "girls" have sleek coats, even the runt who was last to lose her winter coat.

Dan said the cattle all look happy and stress free. The cattle should be happy as my place is cattle heaven. After an initial wariness by some of the cattle at this new guy they quickly gathered round.

"Now, where are those darn Holsteins?!"

I walked over to the river and spotted one Holstein south of the river, south of the island. How did it get over there? I had built a simple two-strand fence last year along that river bank to keep the cattle from getting there.

While Dan waited I climbed over my border fence and went to get the Holstein. I found both of them in the tall grass and trees. I also found how they got there. A little herding and they returned to the river they way they came.

They had threaded their way through dead trees laying along the river bank, then broke the old barb wires and walked through the fence. *sigh*

After Dan left I returned to the scene of the crime to add three more 2x4s for posts and also more barb wire. The cattle were still taking their siesta in the shade in the low area near the river. Most of them followed me to the boundary fence. Guess they thought I had more apples for them.

When working on the last of the three 'posts' the Holsteins came into the river. The double jointed Holstein made his way through the fallen trees along the river to where I had fixed the fence. After a bit he strained against the barb wire and when it appeared he would break the simple fence I chased him away. After taking a drink from the river he went over to the island and joined the other cattle who now had moved over there. The other Holstein stood in the river watching me for a long time. He stood like he wasn't watching, but I saw that he always had one eye on me.

After putting in the third 'post' I found more dead tree branches and piled them in the path where the Holsteins try to break the fence. I also placed a few dead branches in other areas with easy access between the fence and the river. So far it has worked as tonight I see the Holsteins are in the hayfield with the rest of the herd.

Dan said he would take the Holsteins back to his place. He had two other Holsteins pastured at his brother's place but those Holsteins also were wanderers and didn't have a strong herd instinct. He eventually brought those back to his place. We had thought Holsteins were mild mannered and easy going, if odd looking. These Holsteins are proving us wrong.

This evening not all of the herd came by the house when I was out and around. So I didn't get the Holsteins into the area around the barn separate from the herd and ready to be loaded. Another night I will try.

Dan said Evan traded his 25 ft stock trailer for a new 30 ft trailer. He can haul more cattle now. Usually Dan sells his cattle the end of August, but as I plan to wait till the end of September or so, he plans to wait also. There is still plenty of grass left for the cattle so a few more weeks here would be fine. The ranch always feels empty without livestock so I want to have my "girls" here as long as I can.

No comments: