Monday, July 17, 2023

Still working on baling Donna's field. Plus turkey news

I don't have Donna's field baled yet.  But I made progress today.  Slowly.

I found my extra baler belt lacing pins this morning.  I didn't look yesterday considering how bad the day was going.  I wouldn't have found the pins.  This morning I found the pins the first place I looked.  Now, sliding the pin into the belt's lacing should take 5 to 10 minutes.  I spent almost 4 hours this afternoon getting the pin through the lacing's needle-like eyes.  The middle part of the lacing, where yesterday I had major trouble getting the last broken part of the pin out of the needle-like eyes, today didn't want to let the pin through the eyes.  Lots of work with little effort.  At one point, finally, I used a drill to make a few eyes larger.  Then I got the pin through four eyes.  Then I was stopped again.  Donna and I came up with sharpening the one end of the pin.  Donna has a grindstone machine.  That helped a lot.  In about 15 minutes I got the pin through the rest of the eyes and the belt was now completely laced.

I didn't do any baling today as it was now around 4:30 pm.  This afternoon got really windy.  A dry weather front came through.  No rain.  Lots of wind.  Yesterday, while not near as windy, because Donna's hay is short and light, when the baler picked up the hay, before it could be fed inside the baler, some hay would blow off to the side.  Today's hay is longer, but I figured a lot of hay would still blow off to the side.  So tomorrow I'll see how the baling goes as the wind is supposed to be less tomorrow.

Pin for lacing a baler's belt.


This branch was from my front yard.  The strong wind broke it off a spruce tree.



When moving irrigation pipes this evening I took time to check on the turkey.  This is what I found.  Her 15 chicks hatched yesterday or today and they have left.   The photo was taken the same way I took the photos of her laying there.


No comments: