Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Irrigation start

This afternoon I laid out my three sprinkler lines for my irrigation.  I think it was 40 to 45 pipes.  After 5:30 pm I went out to start the irrigation pump.  It wouldn't start.  No electrical start.  What?   There is one way to start the pump.  I did it.  Nothing. Maybe I did something wrong.  There are a few options and I tried them all in case I was doing something wrong.  I checked the breaker was on.  Yes.  I pressed the two buttons to reset something.  I checked that the lever at the power pole was on.  Yes.  I turned off and on that lever.  I checked the meter showed the values.  Yes.

Over and over.  Nothing.  I gave up.  I needed someone to check my electrical box was getting electricity.  Curtis wasn't home.  Dane wasn't home.    I gave up.

I ate something.  Then I went and set pocket gopher traps in the hayfield.  After cutting the hayfield I had seen some fresh dirt mounds.  Since I wouldn't be irrigating, I set a few traps.   After setting the traps I pulled some yarrow weeds in part of the south pasture.   It is too late to spray yarrow weeds.  After that I decided to double check the irrigation electricity.   I didn't even re-prime the pump.  I hit the start button and the pump started.  What?   I had to hit the stop button so I could re-prime the pump.  I hit the start button again and the pump started up and then started pumping water.

I didn't expect it to work.  Why it did... who knows.   I didn't have my tools in case I needed to fix a sprinkler or a line.  And I didn't have my mud boots.   The mud boots are because I didn't have the mainline or any sprinkler lines capped.  That is so the water can flush the needles, small cones and debris out of the pipes.   I wore my shoes when putting the endcaps into the lines.  My shoes got soaked.  My socks got soaked.  My lower pants legs were very wet.

It was a little before 9:30 pm when the irrigation pump started.  I checked the best I could that the sprinklers were going and no major leaks.  I checked the mainline where I replaced the pipe to stop that leak, and no leak.  It was getting dark.  I'll re-check tomorrow.   But I think my irrigation work has started.

No comments: