Friday, July 28, 2023

Hayshed roof fix. Petunias. Cattle.

This morning I fixed my hayshed roof.   A few days ago it was fairly windy and I heard metal banging when I was out in my pasture.  The hayshed roof has metal roofing and a metal panel on one corner was loose and flapping in the strong wind.  The roofing is nailed on and the nails on part of one panel had come loose and were now gone.  I had to wait until I had a day with little to no wind, and also wait until the sprinkler line wasn't nearby.

The hayshed is very tall.   Many years ago after I first moved here I was on the roof to fix loose metal panels.  I had to put an extension ladder in the pickup bed to just reach high enough that I could get on the roof.   I haven't been on the roof since then.  This loose metal panel was on the corner next to Curtis's place and also next to the old OMC haybine.   Due to the haybine I couldn't get my pickup close enough.  On Curtis's side he had a pile of metal things which we slightly moved so I could try using my extension ladder.  Nope.  The top of the ladder went against some fiberglass panels just below the roof line.   Due to the metal things location, I couldn't get my pickup close enough.   I put the ladder on the side with the haybine.  The top of the ladder went against metal panels I had on the side under the roof line.

Curtis watched as I slowly climbed up to the top of the ladder.  Instead of using nails to fasten the lower corner of the roof panel, I used screws and a drill.  About a dozen screws.  When reaching to the very left to screw in that screw, the ladder started to slide to the right.  I stopped the slide then tried to drill the screw in.  This time: success.



Here are some of my petunias.  These have flowers.  The rest of the petunias were getting lots of water from the irrigation line today.  Those petunias didn't have open flowers.



Now that the irrigation line has moved out of part of the north pasture I let the cattle into that pasture this afternoon to eat the fresh green grass.  It was easy as they had read my mind and were standing near the gate and waiting for me.

Here you can see what was irrigated and what was not.

The cattle were happy.





Calves.   The little red steer on the left was born June 22.   The larger red steer on the right side was born March 20.

No comments: