Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Donna's hay is baled

This morning I got Donna's hay baled.   Everything worked fine today.  The bales were netwrapped appropriately.  No belts twisted.  I had only one potential problem.  When a bale reaches full size (60), the controller will beep and seconds later the netwrapping will start.    At times when the amount of hay coming in is small, the controller will temporarily go between .5 and the new number until enough hay comes in to move the number to the higher value.  This time it fluctuated over and over between 59.5 and 60 as I initially hit 60 when the hay quit, and I had to turn a corner to get to the next windrow.  When hay started coming back into the baler the controller listed 60 and would keep going instead of stopping and switching to the netwrap mode.    So I hit the manual netwrap button and started the netwrap.  Then everything worked fine and the bale was netwrapped.

I made 15 bales today, for a total of 20 bales from Donna's field.  It took me only 2 hours and 15 minutes to bale those 15 bales.  Sunday and Monday when I worked on the baler problem it took me three to four hours each day.

But I am done haying until my second hay cut in August. So happy to be done haying.  Since my irrigation line today is blocking all my gates to the ranch I can't drive in or out of the ranch.  Tomorrow after I move the line to the next spot I can drive in and out of the ranch and can bring the tractor and baler and the few bales I am keeping home.  Donna sold the rest of the bales and I will load them tomorrow afternoon for her.

No comments: