Monday, May 01, 2023

Chainsaw working now, and then

This afternoon I tried starting my chainsaw.  It started right up. Quite a different behavior than what happened last Saturday.  I cut up some branches for firewood I had located in my backyard.  Then it was off to cut up the downed dead tree that fell last Fall.  Days ago I had cut off the downed tree's branches using an ax.  The branches cut are stacked the pile.  The pile is bigger than it looks like in this photo.




When I cut the base of the fallen tree I discovered lots of ants were living there.  Probably why the tree died the year before last.  I went and got my camera.  You can still see some ants.  Many ants were gone by the time I took the photo.



After cutting the fallen tree into short sections that I will later split for firewood, I turned my attention to a few trees nearby that had broken off last November during the wet snowfall that broke many tree branches on the trees around the ranch.  Here are before and after photos after I chain sawed to get rid of the broken tree.



Here is a decaying tree stump I ended up chain sawing so it would be now down to ground level.



Here are some of these tree's November broken branches located in the middle pasture.  The pile in the back I will haul off and dump in a location I don't harrow.  The stack of long branches are ones I will cut into short pieces for firwood.   The small pieces on the very left is another one of those trees that the top had broken off last November.  I cut that tree down to ground level, and then cut the tree into short pieces before taking this photo.

Before and after photos.   This is the "and then" part of my post's title.   The chainsaw's chain which I had bought last Fall, and used briefly back then, and this year only today, stretched today as my cutting went on.  I fully extended the chainsaw's bar during the afternoon.  I kept cutting as I wanted to cut up all these branches. The chain still lengthened and started to droop on the bar.  Cutting these small branches resulted in wiggling as I moved on from each cut.  The chain would often fall off the chainsaw when I moved on from a cut.   I was getting closer, so I kept going on after I remounted the chain.  Eventually the chain was so loose the chainsaw wouldn't turn the chain.  I had to quit.   The second photo shows what remains.

My neighbor Ty was outside this evening.  He had worked as a forester and now works at the lumber mill.  So I asked him about my problem.  A chain shouldn't (didn't previous years) stretch so quickly.  Two things.  Metal these days - from China - is not as strong and wears out / stretches quicker these days.  And second, when the chain gets hot is stretches at a faster rate.   I think enough oil comes out of the chainsaw to oil the chain.  But Ty said check to make sure the oiling capacity is at maximum level.

So I will be back to cleaning branches up as I order a new chain.

No comments: