Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Weighing steers

I still have the two steers that were born last June and July.  Tony plans to buy them next week.  Instead of guessing how much they weigh, today I hauled them in my stock trailer to a scale.  The two steers weigh 1350 pounds, or 675 pounds each.

After weighing the steers I cleaned the stock trailer. When I hauled the two cows to the auction last November, that is when I had the pickup breakdown.  Then Winter came on.   So I wasn't able to clean the stock trailer last November.  After weighing the steers today I then cleaned the stock trailer.

Also when I got ready to haul the steers to the weigh scale I found that two boards in the stock trailer were tilted up in a V.    It appears the boards, being wet, swelled.  With no room between the boards two boards tilted up.    I never had this happen before in the stock trailer.  In the long wooden feeder I will have that happen when the boards get wet and swell.  Eventually in the feeder I trimmed the width on some boards. and the "V"ing doesn't happen.  Now, instead of swelling tight, the boards were knocked around by the cattle this Spring.  I can't win.

I am letting the stock trailer boards be.  By Fall I will see if they will fit nice again.  If not, I will trim one of the board's width.

I had removed the floor mats after hauling the steers and before I cleaned the floor.  The "V" is not as pronounced in the photos as I had set one of the two boards flat and then let the one side of the other board sit on top of the flat board.



Does this steer look like he weighs 675 pounds?



The other steer.  The steers like to put their head through the fence in this section, then rub on the rails.  That is why the Winter fur is now off their heads and necks.




Haynes, the bull.




He has some big balls.



The steers stick their heads through the fence to eat the grass in the hayfield.   The first photo doesn't have any wire nailed to the fence boards.



This section has wire nailed on the middle boards.  The third photo has wire nailed on the lower four boards, and the steers were still able to eat some grass on the other side of the fence.



The steers can get their heads through the fence farther than one expects.

No comments: