Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Another jailbreak

This morning I heard lots of mooing in the corral.  Now what?

I went out and looked and found Little Beulah and three of the replacement heifers in the runway part of the loading corral.   Little Beulah.  Of course.  She must have picked up a trait from her recent calf as Little Beulah was well behaved before.

The mooing cattle were all around the loading corral fence and I had to look to find out how Little Beulah and the replacement heifers got into the runaway.  When I found one of the fence panels pushed partway off, a little calf walked into the runway to join the other cows.

I let them all be.  Let them eat the grass in the runaway.  I left the headgate open so the cattle could walk out of the runway on their own.  I re-nailed the fence section back to the railroad tie post.   Later I found all the cattle out of the runaway and the grass eaten.  So I closed the headgate.

Little calf sticking her tongue out at me.  Standing next to Little Beulah's calf.

The moved fence panel.

Head gate now open.



After Little Beulah and the replacement heifers left the runway, I discovered they had broke one of the fence boards between the runway and the loading corral.  Another thing for me to fix later.


Earlier I also had found the cattle had pushed off on one of the corral's fence boards.   Why?  When it is was easy to walk through the gate next to the fence board.  (I had the gate open before taking this photo.)

No comments: