Monday, May 29, 2023

Cattle and rain

Tony came over this morning and bought the two steers from me.  So that's done.

Later Donna came over and helped me spray the cows and Haynes the chemical that helps prevent worms and bugs and flies on-or-in the cattle.  To do so we run the cows into the loading corral, and then so many at a time (three or four usually) in the loading corral runway, so I then can spray the stuff on their back along the spine.  Otherwise the cattle would run away if I tried to spray them.  Now, Haynes, was different.  We didn't run him in the loading corral as he was in the south part of the corral.  It took multiple efforts to spray Haynes as he kept moving away from me.  Finally, I think I got enough spray on him.

When that was done I let Haynes out of the south corral so he can be with his ladies.  Usually I wait until June 1, but what the heck, two days early will be fine.  No cows must be in heat, as while Haynes checked a number of cows today, no mounting was seen by me today.

This morning before Tony arrived, I saw the cows had tried to open the gate to the NE pasture.  Notice the silver bar that holds the gates shut.  I found the bar on the ground inside the corral.  Inside the corral.  Not on the ground outside the corral.  And notice the four brackets.  The cows were able to slide the bar out of all four brackets.  The gate stayed closed as you can see I also wrap a chain around the two gates.   But give these smart cattle some time and they will figure out how to unhook the chain also.



Here is the loading corral.  You can see the cattle smashed the grass down while I herded some through the runway.



After noon I thought I would go on a short bicycle ride.  Halfway through the ride, as I turned to go in another direction, I saw to the west dark blue rain clouds with rain falling to the ground.  Where did these clouds come from, as earlier I had only saw some blue clouds to the far south.  Does it look like the west clouds are moving north?  Nope. The west clouds came and started to rain with one mile left for me to ride.  And it rained hard!  I was soaked to the skin by the time I got home.  Tonight I looked at the weather statistics.  They are from the station four miles from me.  Closer to Donna's place.  They statistics said .01 of an inch fell briefly.  Umm.. not where I live.  I had water running down my driveway.  I would guess a quarter of an inch or more fell.

Since I was cold and wet, and it was still raining, and I only had slept 8 hours last night, I went to bed.  I thought I would sleep or a short time to maybe get my normal 9 hours of sleep.  I woke up three hours later.  Rascal was happy I slept as he came and slept right next to me.  But, there went my afternoon.

No comments: