Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Chainsaw, cattle

Another chainsaw problem.   I got my new chainsaw chain and am cutting branches and trees.  I decided to spend a little time yesterday to cut some trees in the lower area of the south pasture.  There are some Hawthorn trees there and I don't like their spiny thorns.  I'm forever getting spiked by their thorns.  And, no, I don't worship the Devil.

https://www.weekand.com/home-garden/article/disadvantages-hawthorn-hedging-18028738.php

The spiny thorns can keep out intruders, including humans and hungry animals. This can prove to be a disadvantage when the bushes are being planted or need to be trimmed. This is an important consideration since the shrubs need to be pruned regularly; without regular pruning, they can become invasive.

If you prick your finger on one of the tree’s enormous thorns you can get ‘blackthorn poisoning’, which causes infection, swelling and joint pain. It was for this reason that early Christians used to believe blackthorn was the devil’s tree, and that those who worshipped him would have their fingers pricked by its satanic spines.

There are also some other trees growing and crowding the few smaller evergreen trees in this area.  I spent some time trimming a few trees around the evergreen trees.  Then my chainsaw chain froze up.  Part of a small branch was between the chain and the bar.   That's odd.  I never had that happen before.  After I removed the small branch I discovered the "wheel" inside the bar at the end of the bar froze up.  It appears bearings in the bar around the "wheel" had come out, but were inside the bar.

I showed it to Curtis and he said he never saw this before.  The "wheel" and bar can't be fixed.  Time for a new bar.





Maybe me cutting some hawthorn trees is giving me bad luck.  My chainsaw bar went bad.  Today when stepping over a low barb wire fence I tore my pants leg.  Of course it would be a pair of pants with no patches on it, unlike my usual ranch pants.


You may find many single hawthorns on farmland. Farmers sometimes won’t cut them down. They believe it is bad luck to do this. These trees were under the protection of fairies and, if the ‘fairy tree’ was killed, the fairy might seek revenge.

The cattle are being a pain.  The board in the extended corral that the cattle broke, they broke some more.

Before the recent break.

I nailed and patched the board up today.

Then Haynes and the cows are messing with the inside corral fence and board.   I had fixed this last month.



I pounded the small posts back into the ground.  And kind-of nailed the fence board.  Once the cattle are out of the corral I'll have to replace this fence board.

And I found one of the steers laying on the hay in the metal feeder.  He was fine.  He just would occasionally eat while he was laying.   I don't want him there, but he will eventually get out of the feeder when he wants to drink some water.

No comments: