Sunday, May 14, 2023

Attempted jailbreak

This afternoon as I was about to leave to go for a bicycle ride, I noticed some mooing going on in the corral.  Usually the cows are relaxing and chewing the cud at this time of the day.  I went over to the corral to look at what was going on.   I found Little Beulah had broken though part of the corral fence and was half out of the corral and eating the grass in the backyard.   Oh for Heavan's sake!!!  The mooing was the other cows telling Little Beulah to keep moving as they also wanted out of the corral to eat the grass like she was doing.

I went over and got Little Beulah to back up and get back into the corral.   I then got the 10-foot gate I bought from Donna's neighbor and placed in front of the broken part of the fence.   I got some old twine and tied the gate to the fence posts.  I don't trust that the cows wouldn't move the gate if it wasn't tied down.

So another project for me to do once I get my current project done this week.

I have wire fence over the fence rails to stop the cattle from putting their heads through the fence and breaking the fence rails.  In this case, that didn't stop Little Beulah.  Even with the wire holding the rails Little Beulah was squeezing through the fence to reach the grass.




Later in the afternoon all the cattle were relaxing.   This calf was fine.   What a way to lay and sleep.




Mother and her calf.   Hard to tell in this photo, but this calf is smaller than the other calves.


The cows can be a pain.  Last week I found they had got the U hook out of the main barn door and had slid the door open a bit.  Not enough for them to get into the barn when I found the situation.  But give them more time and they would have slid the door open larger.

And a couple times last week I found they messed with the floor boards in the main wooden feeder and pushed them down to the ground so that the wooden feeder didn't have a floor.  Seriously cattle!  Stop making work for me!

No comments: