Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Cattle photos and fence

Here are a few cattle photos.  And a photo of a fence where the cattle cracked/broke a board a few days ago.

I don't how they broke this board, but the cattle did.



I haven't gotten around to rebuilding this section of the barb wire fence yet.  So I put an extra metal fence gate there to protect the fence.



No calves yet.  Some cow must have been in heat this afternoon as Haynes the bull was mooing and checking along the fence for a long time.  And Red was bothered also.  She tried to mount another cow and then bothered that cow and another one this afternoon.    Red is one of the three cows left to have her calf.  Red should have had her calf by now.

Red.


This cow also has not had her calf yet.  She is getting closer as when she lays her back end bulges a bit.  This cow is one that may have had and lost her calf last year.  She was the cow that I saw what I know believe was afterbirth hanging out her rear last June.  She was one of the replacement heifers last year and wasn't suppose to have a calf.  But then a few weeks later two other replacement heifers had their calves.  So I think 60 had a calf and that was afterbirth.  I never found the calf.  But that doesn't mean it didn't exist.   The calf that died this year I took out to the south pasture.   It wasn't long before that calf disappeared.   The cycle of life.   You'd think that bones would be left behind, but no.


Sugar and her calf.

Cows and their calves.  Plus one of this year's replacement heifers laying there.

No comments: