Friday, November 30, 2018

Tree stump 22 stopped smoldering, and cattle

Yesterday stump 22 was still smoldering a little bit.   Today it has stopped smoldering.

Last Monday's view
The view this morning

In person the difference in the tree stump hole is more noticeable than what shows in the photos.


Yesterday I put out another large hay bale for the cattle.   A few times earlier this week I caught Toby in the hayfield standing at the yard fence and staring across to the NE pasture and the heifer's large hay bale.  The hayfield was getting eaten down, and while the cattle weren't complaining, it was time to put another hay bale out.

The cattle saw me carry the hay bale with the tractor.  Before I could get out of the corral they came slowly walking from the south hayfield towards me.  I had already closed the gate to the middle pasture so I could bring the bale out and not be disturbed.  Once I placed the bale in the metal feeder I let the cattle into the pasture and the hay bale.   The bale was at the west end nearer the river and among the trees.  I had to lead the cattle halfway before they saw the bale and started to run to it.

For some reason Sugar started fighting with Mama while running.  They were going around and around when cow #90 joined in the attack on Mama.  I disrupted and distracted Sugar and she then decided to leave and go to the bale.  Mama and cow 90 went around a few more times.  Once all the cows had passed they decided to quit their fight.  And by now Mama was getting the upper hand and cow 90 wanted to quit.

These females!!!  Any perceived insult, no matter how minor, and they want to fight.

This morning around 9 am the cattle started filtering into the hayfield.  Toby stood in the hayfield at the yard fence and stared at the heifer's hay bale and mooed a number of times.  No heifers were visible, and Toby stared at the hay bale, so I don't think any of the heifers are in heat.

I walked out to the cattle's bale in the pasture. Three cows were eating from it.  The bale showed signs of being eaten.  I guess the cattle prefer the short hayfield grass and alfalfa over dried hay.  The cattle spent the day in the hayfield grazing.  Eventually Toby quit staring and went to eating.

No comments: