Friday, November 23, 2018

Tree stump dirt and hay bale

The temperature this afternoon actually got above 40 degrees for once in a long time.  The ground is still frozen, but not as solidly as before.   After getting a large hay bale for the heifers calves I decided to try to push dirt into the tree stump holes from my recent burnings.

A few stumps of note.   First is stump 11.  Earlier, when cleaning up the rest of the stump's nearby tree branches, I found part of the stump still remained after the burn.

Stump 11

The stump was somewhat soft so I used an axe to get rid of side roots.

Stump 11

I used the tractor to scrap the top off the rest of the stump.   I think I lowered the stump to be below ground level.   The ground is somewhat frozen so I will wait till Spring to see if I need to do more with the stump or I can cover it up.

Stump 11

I was also able to scrape out and remove a few unburnt side roots from other tree stumps.  I eventually filled the tractor's bucket with unburnt stump remnants.

Stump 12 was the most dug out stump.  The ground looks soft but it took some effort to break it up and scrape it back into the hole.  The explains the later photo showing a chunky pile of dirt in the hole that I couldn't make flat.  Another Spring job.

Stump 12

Stump 12

Many of the other holes will also need Spring work.   I couldn't scrape much of the frozen ground itself to smooth things out.  The following photo shows an example.

Stump 16


I put another hay bale in the NE pasture for the heifer calves.


I put the bale at the east side of the pasture so the calves can get some exercising walking to the bale to eat.


No comments: