Monday, December 03, 2018

Calf hay stack

As you can see below, the calves have been eating their hay and turned their hay bale into a mushroom.  This morning I pushed the top down so the calves can eat the hay easier.






I also put another large bale of hay out in the middle pasture for the cows and bull as they had eaten most of the previous bale.   Red still has some strange interest in Diamond.  Neither are in heat so Red's behavior is kind of odd.   Cows like and dislike other cows, and sometimes will briefly lick/groom another cow on occasion, but Red's interest in Diamond sometimes seems creepy.  This afternoon, after Red hung around Diamond in the morning, Diamond spent part of the afternoon by herself in the pasture or in the hayfield near the middle gate while all the rest of the cattle hung around the corral fence.  Toby the bull wandered over by Diamond sometimes later after I closed the gate to keep the cattle out of the pasture while I got them a new bale.  And no, Diamond is not in heat (as she shouldn't be) as Toby had no interest in Diamond "in that way".


I am without my pickup.  Saturday my pickup died a half mile from the house as I was leaving to get groceries.  The pickup wouldn't restart.  As I walked home a family stopped to give me a ride, then when I told them why I was walking, offered, then towed my pickup home.

With Curtis's help he sprayed gas in the engine as I tried to start the engine.  No effect.  So the fuel pump must not be the problem.  The fuses were all good.  I remembered the ignition control module.   October 2014 my pickup failed to start because its ignition control module had failed due to the excessive vibration from driving over the rough North Fork Road (https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2014/10/pickup-breakdown.html).  I took the ignition control module off the engine and in to the local NAPA store.  They tested the module and re-tested the module several times and they told me it was working correctly.

Man, it is odd to be disappointed that something is not broken.

Today Wyatt came over to help me.  The engine had spark.  We tried the gasoline trick and still no response.  Time to take the pickup in to an auto repair shop.  My former auto repair guy moved or went out of business.   I went with Wyatt's go-to repair shop.  It was located on the other side of town so I wasn't going to tow my pickup there.   I have emergency roadside assistance through my pickup insurance policy and they paid to have the pickup hauled to the auto repair shop.  I, Wyatt and Curtis are all very interested in why my pickup won't start as we are all perplexed.

No comments: