Monday, November 19, 2018

Tree stump reburn

Last Saturday, now that rain and snow ended all the tree stump smoldering and settled the ashes, I found three stumps still had parts left unburnt.  For one stump, when I fill the hole in with dirt later I will also use the tractor to pull up and out the unburnt side root.  The other two stumps, I used branches and debris from a tree branch pile I am cleaning up to have a few mini-bonfires to get rid of the rest of those stumps.

I figured I would dig a little dirt away from the stumps.  For one of the stumps I found much more of the stump to burn that I expected.

Stump 17

Normally the amount of paper I had brought has been enough to get the fires going.  Not this time.  The branches and wood were still a little damp. 

Stump 17
I went home to get more paper.  But it was getting to be late afternoon so I planned on waiting until Sunday afternoon when it would be sunnier and warmer to burn the stumps.   But this pile of wood did finally catch fire.  I waited until Sunday to burn the other stump.

Stump 17 the next morning
On Sunday there was still some of the stump left especially a side root at the bottom of the photo.  So I got more wood and lit another fire.

Stump 17

Stump 17

This time the small bonfire finished off most of the stump.  The remainder will get reburied once the stump is done smoldering.

Stump 17

Sunday's bonfire to burn stump 16.

Stump 16

Before and after photos of stump 16.


No comments: