Friday, November 09, 2018

Cattle into the hayfield, and new trees

The high temperature wasn't supposed to get above freezing today, and the cattle had eaten all of their latest hay bale, so I let them into the hayfield this morning.  I think the ground was frozen enough that the cattle won't pull the grass and alfalfa pants out by their roots.  Or at least, I hope so.

The cattle were confused when I opened the gate to the hayfield.  They were all clustered next tot he middle/north pasture gate.  Eventually a few, then all, came and entered the hayfield where they spent the day.



The cows moved as they ate and the bull stood and ate.  Eventually the bull was left by himself.


Late yesterday afternoon on my bicycle ride I rode by a 5th wheel trailer sitting next to the road with 9 large trees on it.  A hand painted sign said "Free trees".  The tree roots were wrapped in burlap and wire and it appeared they had been taken out of the ground by a machine.

I rode three miles home and immediately got my pickup and drove back.  By the time I returned a family had loaded 6 of the trees in their pickup bed filling it.  The man helped me move (roll) the three remaining trees into my pickup bed.

It turns out that the ground wasn't that frozen this afternoon.  So I planted the trees along the fence in the NE pasture.  Eventually they will grow and partially block the view of the house and garage on the other side of the fence.  Two of the trees are: Serbian Spruce - Weeping.   Not sure what the other tree is.  A similar, but not identical, evergreen.

The trees appear to be 8 feet tall.

I had to roll them down a ramp to get them out of the pickup.

This hole was over half rocks and gravel.  The other two holes were dirt.

Daisy came and supervised the planting of the trees.


I had made a mistake with the first tree (half rocks/gravel hole) as I rolled the tree into the hole before removing the wire around the root ball.  I thought I would have to use the tractor to lift the tree out of the hole.  After much effort I lifted/pulled/rolled the tree out of the hole.  I removed the wire and placed the tree back in the hole.

Once I finished planting the trees it started snowing again.  An inch or so of snow is predicted.  The weather service still says we have global warming and an El Nino is forming and we will have a warm and dry Winter.

No comments: