Saturday, November 24, 2018

Tree stump 22 bonfire

I thought I was done with tree stump bonfires for the year.  Back when I was burning the last of the weed hay on tree stumps I ran out of hay but had one more stump that looked to be rotting.  I put some branches on the stump but the wood was damp and a fire wouldn't take.  Whatever.  I'll burn the stump next year.

Then when I discovered several stumps need a bit more burning (background smoke in one of the following photos), and I had extra newspaper to start fires with, I started stump 22 on fire.  It would be nice to get rid of the stump as it was short enough to be hidden in tall grass and tall enough that one wouldn't want to drive over it.






The stump wasn't as rotted as I thought.  Part of the stump burnt, and the rest smoldered... slowly.  Cold nights and heavy frosts slowed the soldering down.  Since the weather forecast was for snow on Friday, each day this week I would put more branches on the smoldering stump to get the fire going again. 








I then dug around the stump to expose more of it to the fire to speed things up.



The following four photos show the same fire from four sides.





Still more burning needed.

By Friday, after about a week of burning, the stump was still smoldering, but now it was far enough below ground level that when it stops smoldering I can rebury the stump.


And the forecast for snow on Friday and Saturday?  Didn't happen.  The stump continues to smolder.

No comments: