Saturday, November 03, 2018

Hayshed gate and leaves

One hayshed gate was having problems before the calves started pushing on it and now I had to repair it.   The bottom lag bolt was loose and would come out when the gate was opened.  As the gate would brush against the ground when opened I also raised the two lag bolts a few inches higher.

I forgot to charge my drill's battery yesterday so I had to wait until today to finish the repair.  I had closed the corral gates to keep the calves in the corral using the bar to lock the two gates closed.  I forgot to also wrap the gates with a small chain.  This morning I found the calves had opened the corral gates and were in the hayshed eating hay.  I shooed the calves out of the hayshed and leaned the gate to block the entrance.  I went to put hay into their corral feeder but before I could do so the calves were at the gate again and knocked it over.  They were able to run away before the gate could fall on them.

Once I had enough hay in their corral feeder they came running.  This time I wrapped the chain on the corral gates.

The gate is now a little mismatched with the other gate but they still work together.  I may raise the other gate later as I have other projects and didn't want to take time today to raise the second gate.


Later in the afternoon I finished raking most of the yard's leaves.  This has been an off-and-on project all week.  All week before I could finish the raking it would rain, setting me back.   I had a pickup full of wet heavy leaves to dump in the pasture.  The cattle all came to watch me unload the pickup.




No comments: