Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Lumpy jaw

The hits keep coming...

I took my cow to the vet this morning.   The diagnosis: lumpy jaw.  (https://www.beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_lump_jaw)  My cow's version of lumpy jaw is a bone infection.  It can be treated but the chance of success are so-so.   I was planning on selling cow 40 and cow 80 since I have replacement heifers.   Now I will sell cow 120 (lumpy jaw) instead of cow 80 (who usually calves a cycle or two late).  I probably won't get much for her.


The sprinkler head I replaced a few days ago quit working.  It just sat in one spot and didn't rotate.  So I replaced it with another sprinkler.  That one was bad too.  (The pitfalls of used sprinklers.)  The next sprinkler worked.

Tomorrow the north sprinkler line will move from the hayfield to the north and middle pastures.  One more day and the south line will move into the south pasture.  Good, as the pastures are starting to turn brown.  The hayfield is nice and green.  Very little pennycress weeds are left.  A smattering of other weeds.  The main threat now is clover.  Parts of the hayfield are a mass of clover.  If it's not one thing it's another.   I still am moving the irrigation lines twice a day.


I got half of the wood in the pickup unloaded before I had to take the cow to the vet.  I know, not the greatest wood but I find this type of decaying wood useful in the Fall or Spring when I want a fire for some warmth but not an intense fire in the woodstove.


After the vet visit I washed out the stock trailer.  Even if the cattle defecate just before getting in the trailer, they will defecate in the trailer.  Tomorrow the trailer's wood floor should be dry and I can park the trailer and unload the rest of the wood.

One of my stacks of wood to be split is in the corner of the middle pasture.  My mainline's valve openings are every 60 feet, except for a 40 foot gap where the pastures meet the hayfield.  The stack of wood, of course, is in the middle of the 40 feet.  So the wood gets soaked.  Before I moved the one line to one side of the stack I carted off three wheelbarrow loads of logs and moved them to the yard to be split later.

I may not be getting much done other than moving irrigation lines, but on a 90 degree day I did get a few other things done.

No comments: