Sunday, July 29, 2018

Fixing the irrigation leak

Accomplishments today:
  1. Getting up early so I can move my irrigation pipes twice in one day,
  2. Not falling asleep in the grocery store later when shopping (though I felt like it at times),
  3. Surviving the crazy Flathead drivers driving fast and aggressive this morning (the out of state drivers looked a little scared),
  4. Getting some hours of extra sleep after a full breakfast,
  5. Fixing the irrigation pipe leak.
Fixing the leak took much longer than expected.

Below are some of the collars for the hook system to hold pipes together.  Below is my dad's repair job of a leak.  Now that I fixed that damaged pipe another way I have these collars to use as they were intended: to hook pipes together.  To fix the current pipe leak I planned to add a hook and collar to a steel pipe to hook to another pipe.  The problem?  While I brought all the tools I forgot the hook and collar and had to walk back to get it.


Then walking to the leak I noticed one of the sprinkler heads not throwing water like it should.  I walked back and got my wire used to unplug sprinkler nozzles.  When I restarted the sprinkler I found the spring that drives the clapper against the water now quit working.

*sigh*

I walked back and got another sprinkler head and once I turned off the irrigation pump I replaced bad sprinkler.  When I turned the pump back on I found the next sprinkler over was now acting odd.  It was moving really slow.  But it was moving.  So I "called it a day" with sprinkler repairs.

Below is the leak in the mainline pipes.  That is 20 feet the water is spraying.


In the close up view below you can see the pipes are not completely together.  Also the one gasket is broken and partially out.  So another walk back to get a new gasket.


This is the 7th pipe from the end.  I had to take all 7 apart.  I decided that another (the 5th) pipe should also have a collar and hook since I had it apart.  Another walk back to get another hook and collar.

Then when I put the hook and collar on the steel pipes I discovered I had no room to put a hook and collar on.

Huh?

Below is a successful placing of a hook and collar from back when I replaced the two damaged pipes.


But this connection (seen below) doesn't have room for a collar.  What gives?  The male and female sections should all be the same size.  The half circle used for the clamp for steel to steel pipe connections is welded on so I couldn't remove it.  So I went back to my wiring job.  My repair job stopped the leak and now all the sprinklers tossed their water a few feet more.



Why does everything have to have a "hiccup" and take longer?


Other news:  the cattle haven't broken through the corral panels and back into the weed hay.  My latest fix from a few days ago seems to be holding.  (I do see the cattle head that way each day to check it out.)

The cow with the bad leg is still limping a lot.  But the bandage is still on and her leg looks less swollen.

The cow with the bad jaw wants to be with the main herd and moos to call them.  Occasionally the bull stands along a nearby pasture fence and moos back at her.

At times the cattle stand along the hayfield fence and stare at the hayfield.  The grass really is greener in the hayfield.  The hayfield/middle pasture fence was rebuilt a few years ago so I have no worries about that.  The hayfield/south pasture fence has not been rebuilt and that worries me.  Since the hayfield is mostly alfalfa, if the cattle get in there and pig out, they could bloat and die.  No time to rebuild that fence right now so all I can do is watch and get more grey hairs.

No comments: