Monday, July 30, 2018

Weeds, etc.

Irrigation now going smoothly.  I am still moving pipes twice a day.  I am now past the corral so the line now extends fully from south border to north border of the ranch.   31 pipes.  The extra four pipes don't appear to have substantially reduced the water pressure.  This morning I was half asleep and made the mistake of turning off the third line before turning on the second line.  With only one line open the water pressure was intense.  I raced to open the second line before the mainline pipes came apart.    One connection now has a small leak.  Nothing worth re-doing the pipe connection.

Before extending the line across the north pasture and blocking my access to the pastures, I drove to the pastures and gathered some wood for this Winter's fireplace heat.  I got a pickup load.  Need to unload the wood before hauling the cow to the vet tomorrow.  Last year I didn't gather these wood pieces in time before irrigating and ended up soaking them for the season.

Back before I started irrigating, and after I baled and stacked my hay, I used the haybine to cut the yarrow weeds in the middle pasture, and then the baler to bale and remove the weeds.  Before my haying misadventures I had been spraying to kill the weeds.  But since the haying took so long the yarrow went to seed and the plants started to go dormant.  Last year I used a lawn mower to mow the yarrow patches.  Using the haybine and baler were easier and quicker.

I could easily see the line where I had stopped spraying the weeds.

Dead yarrow from late spraying

Live yarrow

No comments: