Saturday, July 28, 2018

Cow with jaw wound

I spoke with Dr. Hutter, the vet, a few times Friday about my cow with the bad jaw.  The jaw wound mostly likely was from an abscess last March/April.  She asked if the wound was still seeping.  No.  She expected the abscess to have some scar tissue.

I put the cow into the head gate and looked closer and took photos of the wound.  No seeping, but the scab is not completely healed.  Perhaps because the cow itches at it with her back leg?

I showed the photos to Dr. Hutter in the afternoon. She was surprised by the wound as it was not what she expected after an abscess drained.  I now have an 11 am appointment on Monday to bring the cow in for tests.

*sigh*

The wound doesn't seem to bother the cow (other than itching as it is trying to heal) and she eats fine.

Here are the photos I took:






This morning I started moving the irrigation pipes twice a day.  A first for me as this means getting up early (for me).  I am doing this for two reasons.  The first is that the new alfalfa and grass roots aren't deep so no need to water deep.  And the field and pastures are starting to dry up so getting water across them sooner than later is good.

I ended up replacing the sprinkler head I had problems with last night.  The spring is weak and unless one starts the "clapper" to spin the sprinkler head around it won't self start.  I also had to break off a tall piece of grass next to another sprinkler as the grass interfered and stopped that clapper from moving.  At some point I will have to turn off the pump and take apart some of the mainline pipe to adjust one pipe connection as it is starting to leak more and more.

Always something.   This afternoon a neighbor stopped on the road and told me I am working too hard.

No comments: