Thursday, July 19, 2018

Finished the baling of my hayfield

Friday, July 7, I took my flat baler tire in to have it fixed.   They said the flat appeared to be because of the tube being pinched.   Perhaps the tire was not fully inflated?   Normally when I have a full bale it get dumped out the baler right away. But to get rid of the weed hay I immediately took the bale across the hayfield and across one pasture to dump it in a low area.  Perhaps I went too fast in a few of the bumpy spots in the pasture.  The bad news.... the hole was right next to an old patch.  $33.30 later and I had a new inner tube installed.

Back at the baler I found the other tire was inflated to 25 pounds of pressure.  The tire says not to drive faster than 25 mph in large letters.  In the small print it says to inflate the tire to 35 pounds of pressure.


Also, when I had the wheel off I found the zerk for greasing the wheel axle.  It was tucked way inside where the wheel is mounted.   A trip back to the tool shed to get a grease gun.  I greased one wheel, then started to grease the other wheel and ran out of grease.   Seriously?!!   Only two zerks to grease and I have to walk back to get another tube of grease?!


Where is the zerk?

Oh, there's the zerk… tucked way inside the wheel.

Since I discovered the two pickup belts would jump the metal disc divider, every time I dumped a bale I would set a catch on the baler and go inside to clean the wet, clumpy, and jammed hay/weeds out of the baler.  After that I had no more pickup belt problems.

I circled the baler's catch.

Here is a 30 second video of a bale being dumped out of the baler: https://youtu.be/Kf6wbk1OSN4


On Saturday I made the final two bales.  I had 12 bales in all.   Just as I was finishing the last bale, Donna, her daughter and son-in-law came over to see my mess.  The daughter and son-in-law were in town to celebrate Donna's birthday.  The son-in-law helped me clean the baler of weeds and seeds one last time.



Here is a 1 minute 40 second video of us cleaning the baler: https://youtu.be/2OZfjCefnrQ


Their dog, Max.

Finally, I hauled away the partial bale I had dumped when the baler's tire had gone flat.  Most of the bale held together even though it was not wrapped in twine.  I only had one full wheelbarrow of weed hay to pick up that fell from the bale.



Here is a 52 second video of me pushing the partial bale down the hill:  https://youtu.be/9CNm9i8Th7Q


The heifer and calves were interested in the new people, and especially their dog.



Here is a 41 second video of me carrying salt blocks and moving the cattle to the south pasture: https://youtu.be/uaWP7BjYzUw

No comments: