Monday, July 09, 2018

Cattle in the yard

Once again - the end of May - I let cattle eat my yard down.  This year I only let the two cows and their calves, and the three heifers, in the yard.  The main herd were already out in the pasture.  Less cattle in the yard should have meant less problems/mischief.  But no, Speckles lifted the fence around the small English Walnut tree and ate all but three leaves before I caught her.  I had forgotten to wire the fence to the steel fence posts.  Fortunately, weeks later, the tree is sprouting new leaves.  So maybe this will only set back the tree one year's growth and not kill it.


I tarped the roof over the well.  If I don't, the cattle will tear off the roof's shingles and see if they can eat them.



The cattle also ate several small bushes down halfway from the top as they squeezed their mouth into the top of the fences similar to what is seen in the photo below.  For the other two bushes I had not placed a wire over the top as I thought the opening was too small.  Wrong!


I even protect the windmill in case the cattle want to scratch against it.


The speckled heifer later ate the tree in the background.




The little English Walnut tree that the heifer ate is coming back.  She didn't kill it by eating all but three of its leaves.  Here is a photo I took July 8.


No comments: