Sunday, June 04, 2017

Calf 13 - Beulah's

Beulah finally had her calf this evening - shortly before 8 pm.  Earlier I was working on a few fence posts and noticed that Beulah's bag was fuller and that she separated herself from the rest of the cattle. I figured she would give birth by morning.  Later I noticed Beulah's tail was up and sideways. I changed my estimated time of birth to be before midnight.

Later I noticed a half dozen or more calves were buzzing around Beulah as she licked the ground.  I went around and around and finally chased the calves away from Beulah.  Whatever Beulah was licking was gone.  Perhaps her water had burst?

Beulah's tail was sticking straight out behind her.  I figured she would give birth soon, within the hour.  I plan to move the cattle from the north pasture to the middle pasture tomorrow and I needed to go and close the gate to the south pasture.  When I returned Beulah had already given birth and was licking the calf clean.  That was fast.

A few cows and calves were nearby but they were giving Beulah some space.

The calf is a boy.  I will band/castrate him tomorrow morning.

After I got my camera and returned the calf got up as I moved in to take photos.  I don't think he had drank his mother's milk yet as he wobbled around and around Beulah spending more time against her front legs or neck than back at her udder.  Beulah had enough of me being close and ambled off with the calf following her.

I watched from a distance.  While the calf spent some time around Beulah's front legs and neck, I think the calf eventually stayed near her udder, but from a distance I am not sure.   If not, he will find it.  He had the strength to walk partway across the pasture and therefore has enough strength to find her udder.






Here is a 1:14 minute video of the calf wobbling around Beulah.  This may be the first time the calf has walked. The calf has not figured out where his mother milk is located.

https://youtu.be/QC3cZSoh0f8


While I was watching the calf and Beulah walk off and group of ducks came walking up the river bank.  It looked like several families of ducks as there appeared to be six adults sheparding a long line of baby ducks along.  They crossed the river by the time I thought of taking a photo.  They are disappearing around the bend in the photo below.


No comments: