Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Mainline irrigation pipe laid

This afternoon I laid out the mainline irrigation pipe.  That was a job considering half the pipes were the 20 foot steel pipes.  Even though there was no rain in the weather forecast a few stray showers kept me under a large evergreen tree several times until the rain quit.

I mostly carried the pipes on my shoulders.  I could use either shoulder to carry the 40 foot aluminum pipes but I could only use my right shoulder to carry the steel pipes.  The steel pipes pressed my skin too hard against the plate holding my left shoulder's bones together.  The steel pipes - half the length - were more than twice as heavy as the aluminum pipes.

I was very tired when I was done.  After a late lunch I fell asleep for over an hour.  Later I laid out some of the sprinkler pipes.

I'll probably lay out the rest of the sprinkler pipes and start irrigating in a few days.


Buddy has been busy too.  Over the past several days I have seen him "courting" several cows each day.  Last night he was trying to mount Panda but number 80 was coming into heat and she wanted in the action.  She also was trying to mount Panda and following her all around getting in Buddy's way.  Buddy kept moo/grunting at number 80 to tell her to back off but she wasn't listening.  Buddy didn't run off number 80 though, unlike Panda's calf a little earlier.  Panda wanted Buddy as sometimes she was trying to mount Buddy.

So a little ménage a trios action going on a the ranch last night.  Today Buddy and the cows were all back to normal.

No comments: