Thursday, June 08, 2017

Missing tractor part found

If you remember from last Fall when I was disking my hayfield, the adjustable bolt for the tractor's three point hitch came off and was lost.  Several times I searched the hayfield I had disked that day, even using a metal detector, but could not find the adjustable bolt.

The past few days I have been searching the hayfield one last time.  I used the metal detector.  Last Fall the metal detector went off constantly.  So much so that the detector was pretty much useless.  In the past few days the metal detector worked better.  It would only go off when it found something of interest.  I think the difference is because the ground was soaking wet last Fall and dry this Spring.

I found a wire, a harrow's spike tooth, a horseshoe and a metal plate. 

The metal plate is interesting.  I don't know what the Anglo SL & Co. made.  They don't seem to be around anymore.  I did find someone on Ebay who sold the same plate (in better condition) for $45.00.  The article was sold from Lyndon, Washington.  The Pacific Northwest like where I am.  I wonder what this plate was from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-ANGLO-SL-CO-UNITED-KINGDOM-CAST-IRON-NAME-BADGE-TAG-PLATE-1750-emblem-/391215287981?_ul=AR



The detector went off a few more times and I found nothing in the loose dirt.  Whether there was something deeper underground I don't know.  Probably.

Hours went by and I had covered two-thirds of the area I had disked when I lost the bolt.  I was starting to doubt I would find the bolt when I saw a small part of the bolt's flange in the dirt.  The metal detector didn't go off.  Then I noticed the detector was turned off.  Maybe it was because I hadn't found anything in a long time?

But it was my bolt with its flange.

Success!  

I cleaned the bolt and flange and put them back on the tractor's three point hitch.



No comments: