Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Waiting on calves

I am waiting for the final three cows (ok, one heifer and two cows) to calve.  I think a couple are getting close.  But each morning when I check they have not calved.  Often the cows yet to calve hang to together while the mother cows are off with their calves.

An expectant heifer (standing) and two expectant cows


Mama has chilled out somewhat.  She no longer charges me when I am out in the pasture in the general area of her calf.  One time I had to rap her on her head multiple times with the pitchfork handle to stop her from running me over.

The other evening when I was returning from the middle pasture I decided to cut across the north pasture to the corral.  The cattle were spread out.  Buddy was by the salt feeder outside the corral.  I had trapped my second pocket gopher of the year and was carrying the trap, the pole used to hold the trap, the white milk jug on the pole, and a white plastic sack I found in the middle pasture.  Buddy saw me.  Usually he just stands there but this time he started walking towards me. Hmmm...   I changed course to the corral fence.  When I realized I would have to run to reach the fence before Buddy reached me I changed course again and headed for the barb wire fence closest.  I mostly made it over the fence before Buddy reached me.  My upper pants leg hung up on a barb until I could get free without ripping the pants.  Buddy seemed more interested in the milk jug and plastic bag than me.  *whew*

Mama came over to see what was going on.  Then the other red cow.  As I walked along the fence the other red cow got excited and began to hop up and down and shake her head.  But I had the fence between us and she calmed down.

No comments: