Sunday, April 19, 2015

Calf 3: Oreo

Last Wednesday morning - April 8 - I woke up before 7 am with baby calves on my mind.  Since the weather is decent usually I don't go outside to check on calves at this time.  But I felt I needed to check on the cows.  And wouldn't you know it... a new calf had just been born.  The calf was mostly clean.  I'm not sure if it had stood up yet.  I checked: it was a girl.

The mother was number 20 - a broco faced cow.   The calf is not broco faced.  The calf is almost half black and have white.  She looks like an Oreo cookie.  She is the cutest calf ever.  If Buddy wasn't her dad I would keep her and have her bred.

The calf was ok and I went back to bed.  Later that morning Donna stopped, when driving by, she seen one of the yearlings from the corral out in the hayfield.  The yearling had pushed against an old corral fence board that turned out to be rotten and then got out.  With Donna's help we quickly herded the yearling back into the corral with the other yearlings.  The yearling wouldn't go through the open gate.  Instead it ran to the broken fence and pushed its way back into the corral.


I fixed the broken board.  I then noticed another fence break. This is where the cattle like to stick their heads through the fence and rub their necks.  The end of the pole that is off the fence was weak and rotted.  So I found another pole and fixed the fence.



A few hours after her birth.  The stuff by the calf is the afterbirth from the cow.





Donna said she had seen Oreo up and about looking for her mother and milk.  Buddy was there checking out the new calf.  Oreo was searching for milk, and being only a few hours old, mistook Buddy for her mother.   Donna said Buddy didn't seem to mind that Oreo was messing with his balls.  I forgot to ask if Buddy had smile on his face.


Here is Oreo a few days later.   The yearlings were super curious about the calf.











Here is a 3 minute 21 second video of Oreo:  https://youtu.be/azjQuyCfslk
-

No comments: