Saturday, April 25, 2015

Calf 9 - Beulah's calf

Last night I noticed Beulah was staying by herself in the trees near the river while all the other cattle hung out at the other end of the pasture near the corral and the feeder.

Uh, oh.  Someone plans on giving birth soon.

Sure enough early in the morning I found Beulah had given birth.

The calf looks like Beulah: grey (or a very light brown depending on the light) with slightly curly hair indicating the part of her that I think is a Simmental breed.   The calf is also a boy.

This afternoon Donna helped me band the little bull calf to castrate him. We found Beulah and the calf still in the trees near the river.  The rest of the cattle were in the middle of the pasture and continued laying and were relaxed when we walked by.

Less than a day old and I was able to easily grab him by a back leg.  Beulah had been fine with me nearby but after I grabbed her calf and laid him down to the ground she got concerned.  I was going to do the banding but Beulah was getting excited and really close and mooing.  I waved my one free hand and shooed her back while Donna did the banding.

Once I let the calf go Beulah took off with it and walked all the way to the opposite end of the pasture near the feeder and corral.

Newly banded

Let's get out of here!
 
We walked back to the corral.  Now the rest of the cattle were all up and standing near their calves and eyeing us suspiciously in case we came for their calves.


In the evening Beulah come in the corral to drink from the water trough.   I got a few photos of her calf then.

The calf has Beulah's hair style.

Less than 24 hours old and wondering about the world.

Opps... little calf, that's not your Mother.

Ah... there is my mother and milk.

Mama noticed her calf was in the corral and I was nearby so she came to the fence and called for her calf to come outside the corral and join her.



Here is a 33 second video of Beulah's calf: https://youtu.be/gicM7JYBGIc

-

No comments: